Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Carved Pottery Plate

clay carving tools



















 I've become quite enamored with carving clay pieces. I throw the pots on my daughter's wheel, let them dry to leather hard and carve them with simple tools.

The silver one is a flexible piece of metal that you can bend to cut shapes. The yellow one is a plastic cake decorator.

thrown pots drying



















Carving suits me well since unlike Nissa, my pots are on the sturdy side. I can carve away a lot of clay to try to achieve a more elegant shape.

carved pottery plate



















The leaf shape was created by heavily bending the flexible metal and you use a slight twisting motion to cut out shapes.

glazed carved pottery plate



















Here is the plate glazed. The blue glaze has a left an interesting color variation that gives it lots of depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment