Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How To Make A Glitter Texture In Photoshop

the word glitter in gold glitter














I was going to photograph some glitter to use as a texture but I found this nifty tutorial from ScrapbookBytes.

Here are my notes:
Open a new square document in Photoshop (make sure the color is set to RGB not CMYK, the filters won't work in CMYK. Make the document 8 bit.)
Fill with grey #B3b3b3 (I tired 50% grey and it was too dark)
Filter > Texture > Grain. Select Sprinkle from the drop down menu. Intensity 35. Contrast 50. OK
Filter > Pixelate > Crystallize. 3%
Command J to duplicate the layer. Edit > Transform > Rotate 90 CW. Blend mode Multiply.
Repeat - Command J to duplicate the layer. Edit > Transform > Rotate 90 CW. Blend mode Multiply.
Merge the layers and save the file in case you want to make more glitter. This is the base you work off. I saved mine as glitter_blendModeOverlay.jpg

To color the glitter:
Open the new glitter base in Photoshop.
Add a new layer. Fill with a color. For the gold glitter I used #BC9D20. Blend mode Overlay.

Photoshop layers panel screenshot


No comments:

Post a Comment